To obtain a researcher degree, a PhD, a student must complete a PhD programme, write a PhD thesis based on a research project and, finally, defend his/her thesis in a satisfactory manner.
The PhD programme consists of the following elements:
- Independent research project
- Participation in courses (totalling approx. half a year’s full time study beyond that required for a Master degree)
- Teaching activities and/or other types of knowledge dissemination
- A stay at another research institution or research environment
- Preparation of a PhD thesis